Friday, January 20, 2012

My newest favorite tool...18 volts of goodness.

 
This is my newest favorite tool.  DeWalt 18v half inch drive impact driver.  There are times where a pneumatic impact gun just isn't convenient and an air compressor isn't available (like out on the golf course when utility cart gets a flat and you grab the breaker bar and socket to remove it by hand).  This is where the impact driver comes in handy.   I had tried out the Snap On version which has nearly 700 foot pounds of torque, and a price tag per dollar to match that torque spec.  Not wanting to spend almost 700 dollars on a tool I wouldn't use everyday, I looked at other brands.  I am a DeWalt fan, and have always been happy with their products, so after a little online research, onto the Amazon wish list it went, Xmas came, and into my greasey hands it wound up.  First impressions had me questioning how a battery powered tool smaller than my regular 18v drill could contain so much torque?   My first test was to try driving some six inch long lag bolts into the work bench at work.  A normal drill will struggle with a bolt that long, and many will fail without drilling a pilot hole first to accompany such bolt.  Not this one.  I put numerous lags into the bench where the 4 by 4 legs met the 2 by 4 upper frame with little effort.  It was fun, but I'm no carpenter and putting lag bolts into wood isn't something I would be doing on a daily basis..  I needed to test it where I know I would be using it the most, on the various mechanized vehicles used to meticulously groom grass so the well-to-do can chase a small white ball around on.  I'm talking golf course equipment.  I slapped on a few larger sized impact sockets and proceeded to test the DeWalt out on various carts, mowers, and groomers lug nuts.  Busted them loose without a hitch.  I was pleased. We had a big 4wd Toro rotarty mower which need the rear hydraulic cylinder removed in order to rebuilt its leaky seals.  Castle nuts on the ball joints hold these onto the spindle, so after pulling the cottor pin, I gave the DeWalt another go at it, and handled it without fail.  There hasn't been anything it wouldn't loosen.  Even the blades on the mower which I always installed with my Ingersol Rand pneumatic gun were removed by the DeWalt with much ease.  It's badass.  My only complaint would be not owning it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment